Thursday, December 23, 2010

Do Whaaaaaaa?

Ok... where am I going?

I guess the best way to get to that is by looking at where I am.

I've got a very focused plan that will lead to the operation of a completely sustainable animal rescue/re-homing center for 40 dogs located on rural land, and needing separate homes to insure proper integration of the animals. It is important for me to build self sufficient structures for their economical value, allowing for more funding of the nuts and bolts involved with feeding and housing of 40 dogs and 5 families.

This plan involves acquiring land , building a site-custom main structure and then building additional smaller homes that will each be charged with the full care and behavior modifications of 8 dogs, while providing to the livelihood of the project's sustainability goals.

I had always assumed I’d be doing the beginning stages of it by myself, until recently.

I became involved in the Greater Baltimore Earthship Project in order to learn more and align my resources with those of other similarly minded people.

Now that we have had an opportunity to meet, I can see a definite urgency in pushing for progress. But at this early stage, I really don't see what we're pushing for yet. I know we need land. And I know that it will be the longest "up" in the process.

But, if we're just gonna be building an Earthship, it's $8k for basic plans and a few hours of consultation.

That makes it easy, right? Lol

However, if we are going to incorporate most of the principals while still working with what our unique requirements offer us, it's best just to consider it an efficient design similar to an Earthship.

I've thought long and hard about the many different systems. I even have some ideas for some pretty non standard forms of electric generation, basically running the house's main electrical system with recycled components from automobiles.

I have a good understanding of plumbing, and how to handle water cycling, and conservation. I believed myself able to retro-fit my current home with a forcing structure, alternative power system, rain catchments and utilization as well as waste disposal.

But, now the plan’s evolving. It’s not a back burner project, anymore. I can’t just pace around my yard with a measuring tape, and call it progress. It’s an organized venture, involving other people and their livelihoods, equally vested, and being charged with all of the associated responsibilities. In the process, it scraps my ideas for my current property, in exchange for a potentially better suited, but nonetheless new location.

It’s a big step.

But, I’m gonna give it hell.

My current goal is to design a very basic schematic for each of the four major systems utilized in a common home. Water supply, air conditioning, electricity, and gray water processing. Before the specific building project is decided on, this effort will consist of information compilation and research into each of these areas, so that when implementation is necessary, a solid familiarity with the concepts will allow for a more efficient, and durable integration of the principals.

I will update my progress here, as often as possible.

Merry Christmas, e’rybody!

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I'm really excited to see your designs for the systems and plans for the dogs manifested in reality. Such diversity we have here! As for the $8,000 plans, is that something you think we need? There are so many plans to be found online. I'm not sure I want (or could afford) to spend that much on blueprints for our house. It seems like taking a couple field trips to existing earthships with notebooks and pens in hand would be helpful. Ask as many questions as possible...

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete